Mountain High Adventures is a locally owned and family run business that strives to provide sustainable whitewater adventures. We aim to minimize our carbon footprint through a biodiesel fuel recycling program, leave-no-trace principles, and minimizing lunch waste.
MHA runs a fuel recycling program where we collect discarded fryer oil from local businesses and exchange it for processed biodiesel. When burned, this produces fewer heat-trapping greenhouse gases than petroleum-based fuels. This helps local businesses reduce waste while also turning readily available resources into energy.
We are the first company in Fernie with a green program of this scale for transportation purposes. Furthermore, our base is right on the river to reduce transportation distances and times.
We strive for 0-waste lunches which includes:
- Using Tupperware containers
- Eliminating disposable cutlery and plates by doing dishes daily
- Minimizing pre-packaged food
- Sorting all waste into recycling, refundables, organics, and trash
- Preparing all food to order to avoid excess food
- Purchasing products in bulk to minimize packaging and spoiling
We use proceeds towards building access roads and designated put-in/take-out areas, and walk on well-established trails as to not disturb flora or break in new trails.
Our activities are 100% human powered, keeping our carbon footprint low.