Gain skills and certifications in the river rafting industry while enjoying the spectacular Rocky Mountains. The Program includes Raft Guides Course and Swiftwater Professional Guide Rescue & Safety Training Level 3.
Skills you may develop include:
- Discovering the dynamics of moving water
- Familiarization with Rafting equipment and repair
- Maneuvers in Class 2 and 3 moving water
- Rescue skills in simulated situations
- Advanced techniques such as ferrying, staying parallel, turns and sideslips, eddy maneuvers, lining, scouting and righting a capsized craft
Week 1: Swiftwater Rescue
Designed for people who require technical safety skills and or the third-party rescue skills (including multi-victim profiling) to function in a higher, medium-risk environment. The courses are performance-based and include written and performance-based evaluations.
Weeks 2-3: Whitewater Raft Guide Training
Intensive introduction to the rafting industry and the preparation for employment as a raft guide. Multiple days on the Elk and Bull rivers develop strong team rafting skills, as well as learning about equipment, river reading techniques and safety and risk management issues.
Students who have successfully completed the necessary certification exams have become rafting guides in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US. Others take the training for the fun of acquiring new skills and the adventure of white-water rafting.
The course is run in April and May. Contact the College of The Rockies in Fernie for more information and to register (250-423-4691).